The challenge is on...50 days of intentional acts of generosity, health, courage, and kindness leading up to my 50th birthday.

Friday, October 4, 2013

Day 3: Write your own jingle...

Challenge Day 3: Write your own jingle, theme song or "commercial" that's all about YOU. Perform at upcoming staff meeting.

Now see, this challenge is exactly why it was not such a great idea to ask a coworker(s) to organize the challenge. I'm totally down with writing a jingle, but making me perform it at work!? That's just cruel and unusual punishment, ladies. I'll get you for this. And it's like 2 challenges, not 1. And it's a multiday challenge. These are supposed to be challenges I can do on the day I pull them. OK, there I go. That's the black and white, nit picky me being annoyed right now that "the rules" weren't followed. Take a deep breath. This challenge is to help tame that monster. Besides, they set the rules, not me. Different from my expectations does not equal wrong. I wanted to be challenged. Because I was expecting a fast ball, is why a curve ball was the perfect pitch to throw at me. Adjusting expectations and adapting to sudden change is good - that's what I'm here to learn. And isn't it funny that my resistance to the "Perform at upcoming staff meeting" part of the challenge isn't even about the actual performance? Wouldn't most people be mainly anxious about having to perform in front of others? But no, not me. I'm all focused on how that aspect of the challenge doesn't conform to "the rules". I'm smiling and laughing at myself right now. The universe does have a way of giving us exactly what we need if we would just open our eyes and recognize the gift. Oh lady challenge masters, you are wiser than you know. Thank you.

And while I'm now on the path of positive thought, it is fortunate that I pulled this challenge today when I have the day off and plenty of time to come up with something, plus I've got several days to rehearse before my performance. However, for those of you following along and hoping to see what I come up with today, you're out of luck. I'm keeping it under wraps until the opening performance.

10/9/13 Jingle Performance Update:
I sang my little jingle at the staff meeting today. The words are below. Sang to the tune of the famous "My bologna has a first name..." commercial jingle from 1973.

My psyche has a first name,
It's T-Y-P-E-A.
My psyche has a second name,
It's C-R-A-N-K.
I love to defeat it every day.
And if you ask me why, I'll say...
This Type A crank just wants a way to learn how to let lose and play.

How was that?

And no, I am not posting the video.

1 comment: