The challenge is on...50 days of intentional acts of generosity, health, courage, and kindness leading up to my 50th birthday.

Friday, October 18, 2013

Day 17: Listen intently to everyone..

Challenge Day 17: Listen intently to everyone and only talk about what they were talking about. The point is...just listen.

Hmm, was this a generic challenge or did a friend contribute it just for me? Because if you know me, you know that I'm not a great listener. Not being a great listener wouldn't be so bad if I also wasn't such a great interrupter. I know how rude and annoying it is. It's a tough habit to break. I just seem to get so excited about a topic that I can't hold back. I really want to improve in this regard
so I'm happy for today's challenge to practice being attentive and listening well.

Unfortunately, hardly anyone was in my office today for me to practice on. I interacted minimally with a few people at work but not enough to really exercise this challenge.

After work I had dinner with Terri and Maya before Maya's soccer practice. We mostly talked about Maya's improved grades and gave deserved praise. I think I did a pretty good job listening to them both and talking about their topics, not commandeering the conversation.

During Maya's soccer practice we had a beer with some dear friends who are going out of town tomorrow. I knew that would be a good temptation time for me to practice intent listening. I listened pretty well but did catch myself cutting someone off a time or two. Damn. Good listening and alcohol don't mix.

I have learned though that traits like poor listening and interrupting are not set personality flaws. "I'm just that way", is a cop out. They are habits that can be changed with lots of effort and repeated success. It is not easy. Training for a marathon would be easier. This is a challenge that I'll endeavor to perform more than just today.

I know how much I appreciate people who are generous with their attention by listening intently. I am blessed with such friends. That's a good way to be and I want to keep on trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment