The challenge is on...50 days of intentional acts of generosity, health, courage, and kindness leading up to my 50th birthday.

Monday, October 14, 2013

Day 13: Unicycle Lesson

Challenge Day 13: Unicycle lesson compliments of my friend Des

OK, now this challenge was fun, but physically not easy. Riding a unicycle is one of those things that is much harder than it looks, like bowling or juggling.

When my friend Des arrived at my work with the unicycle, she also had 2 helmets - a bike helmet and a motorcycle helmet, just in case. Uh oh. Should I be worried about cracking my head open?

Prior to trying it, I really thought that after 20 minutes or so I'd be up on the thing riding it around. NOT. After 45 minutes I could still barely keep my balance even with Des holding me. Poor Des. I was holding on so tight pulling and pushing on her to keep my balance that she worked up a sweat. I got a pretty good workout too - my thighs, hips, and core muscles are even a little sore.

In 5th grade, Des got her first unicycle for Christmas and spent all winter in her kitchen learning to balance between the kitchen counters. Upon hearing this, besides realizing what nice parents Des must've had, I realized that mastering a unicycle takes quite a bit of time and patience. I was definitely not going to ride it in one day.

So I didn't get very far my first lesson but it sure was fun. Lots of laughter and hilarity. I am definitely going to try it again.

Today's challenge made me think: When was the last time I tried something completely brand new - a difficult mental and physical challenge like this? Hmm, there was skiing 30 years ago. (Miserable fail). There have got to be some more recent things. That I couldn't readily recall told me it's been too long.

As kids, we are trying new physically & mentally challenging things all the time - learning to crawl, walk, run, ride a bike; jumping a skateboard off curbs; hanging upside down on monkey bars; jumping from the high dive. Kids try and succeed and try and fail, and keep trying over and over until mastering something. As adults by age 50, we've usually tried all the new stuff and have already become proficient at whatever it is we like to do. There aren't as many new things to try - or rather, new things we are willing to try. Granted, with age comes the wisdom of understanding our own mortality. We know our limits and the risks. But is physical danger really why we stop or is there more to it? Are we afraid unnecessarily? Stuck in ruts? Too busy?

Today's fun has inspired me. I want to try more new stuff. Who cares if I master it or not? I undeniably did not master the unicycle today, but the trying was exhilarating and gratifying. I want some more of that in my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment