The challenge is on...50 days of intentional acts of generosity, health, courage, and kindness leading up to my 50th birthday.

Friday, November 1, 2013

Day 31: Write a love letter to Maya.

Challenge Day 31: Write a love letter to Maya

Maya is a great kid. She's been so fun the last couple days. She's been witty, giggly and goofy, Broadway theatrical, a little bit stand up comic, and just such a joy to be around. So this is the perfect time to write her a letter to tell her this and to thank her for making our home so fun lately.

It isn't always this way. These last 2 years, since starting junior high school and becoming a teenager, have been difficult. She's still a great kid. It's just that the stresses of hormones, peer pressure, grueling school work, friends, social networking, boyfriend, etc. have been hard on her. She bottles everything up and lets out the monster at the safest possible place...home. Terri and I get the brunt of all her pent up anxiety and anger. We're coping better now that we have in the past. And it's surprising how the better we've learned to respond the better Maya seems to be. We were taking outbursts too personally and being too reactive to behaviors. Now that we've relaxed a bit, so has Maya. She's just a kid, still trying to figure things out. God, I remember how scary it was being a teenager. And it's way harder for kids now.

So we wrap our loving arms around her the best we can and let her know we're always there for her.

Dear Maya,
The last couple of days it has been especially fun being your mom. You’ve been so joyful, witty, and outright hilarious. Thank you for filling our home with your warm laughter and energy. You have such a beautiful smile and it’s so heartwarming to see you happy. I feel like I’ve gotten a glimpse of the amazing woman you are to become and it makes me so proud.

Being a teenager sucks. You’re under so much pressure from school, friends, Stephen, us, and everything else. If I could take all the pain and stress away, I would. My heart aches when you are upset and struggling. In time, things will get easier.
I love you so much.

Love,
Mommy



2 comments:

  1. What did you tell yourself to learn to relax with Maya? You stated exactly what I try and tell the parents of my kids all the time but rarely are they able to understand it

    ReplyDelete