The challenge is on...50 days of intentional acts of generosity, health, courage, and kindness leading up to my 50th birthday.

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Day 32: Compliment 3 strangers

Challenge Day 32: Compliment 3 strangers

I'm fairly outgoing and not uncomfortable doling compliments, so this challenge wasn't too difficult. As with many of these challenges, though, it created unexpected and wonderful side effects. Simple compliments became meaningful dialogues, so much more than just, "Nice shoes." "Thanks".

Compliment 1:
In the morning I was out in the yard taking down Halloween decorations. A woman and her dog walked by across the street. The dog was black with a lean, lithe body and a curly coat cut very short. It's gait was like a horse's prance, very regal and as if it was holding back the power and urge to take off at full gallop. I think it was a Standard Poodle with a close-clipped hair cut. She was off leash prancing a few feet ahead of her owner.
"Beautiful dog", I said.
"Thanks", the woman said.
"She looks like a runner", I said.
"What?" the woman said.
I realized the woman might've thought I was providing judgmental commentary about her dog being off leash. So I clarified.
"She is in great shape and looks like she loves to run."
"Oh, she does. You should see her. This is what I do to get her to run", the woman said. Then the woman squatted down a bit and sprang forward stomping her feet and raising her arms. The universal sign language to dogs that you want to play. Well it worked. The dog turned toward her owner - repeating the same gesture - bowed down, front paws forward, butt up in the air, then bounded up into a full, glorious gallop circling the neighbor's front yard. The look on the dog's face was pure, unbridled joy. Just wonderful. The woman and I said a few more words, wished each other a nice day, then they continued along their walk.


Compliment 2:
We were sitting at the very top of the bleachers in the shade at Maya's soccer game. An outgoing and gaily-dressed older woman was sitting next to me. She had offered to scoot over to let us sit in the shade and we were sharing commentary about the game. She was dressed in a matching bright salmon-colored top and capris with a hand-sewn rainbow patterned visor, the kind sold at craft fairs. She was so nice, I really wanted to give her a compliment. But what? The outfit? The visor? What to say and be honest and not just making something up. I noticed she was sitting on a colorful, mod-funky Mickey Mouse blanket. It was actually kind of groovy.
"I like your blanket. Is that Mickey Mouse?" I inquired. That was all it took.
She unfolded the blanket to show me. "I got it at Wal-Mart', she said, "I had never shopped there before, never wanted to step foot into a Wal-Mart." That opened up a thoughtful discussion between us about the mega retailer. We shared a common guilt about the few times we'd shopped there. (My negative judgment about Wal-Mart has actually softened over the last few years since my mom works there. When no other employer would hire a 70 year-old woman, they did. My mom says they treat her well, provide benefits, and even gave her a raise.)
I discovered the woman is Maya's coach's mom. Maya has an amazing woman coach. Well then the compliments just flowed about what a wonderful daughter this woman raised and what an effective coach her daughter is. I had a great time talking with her. BTW, Maya's team won 3 -0, Maya scored 2 goals.

Compliment 3:
After the day of the dead/fall festival at church, we went out to dinner. Next to our table, was a family waiting to be seated. The little girl with them was beautiful. She had wild, naturally streaked golden ringlet curls cascading down her head. Her face was painted like a colorful skull - they too must've been at some type of festival. It was a long wait for a table and she was getting a bit antsy. I had a cute little skeleton ornament-type thing I had won at our festival. I went and got it and crouched down next to the little girl to show it to her. Her eyes lit up. "Do you want it?" I asked. She nodded her head, curls bouncing. The skeleton toy had a very large, over-sized bald skull.
"My skeleton is sad because he doesn't have any hair", I said, "Can I give him to you so he can enjoy your beautiful hair?"
She nodded again, beaming. I clipped the toy onto the zipper of the little girl's jacket. Her mom looked down smiling, "Wow, that's so nice honey, what do you say to the nice lady?"
"She's got the most fabulous hair", I said to the mom.
"Thank you. I know. Sadly, she'll probably hate it when she gets older", she replied. We both laughed. "Yes, I know how that goes", I said, "My daughter has beautiful hair and hates it." We both laughed and got that knowing, mother's grin.


No comments:

Post a Comment