The challenge is on...50 days of intentional acts of generosity, health, courage, and kindness leading up to my 50th birthday.

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Day 44: Go on a walk and pick a bouquet of flowers for someone.

Challenge Day 44: Go on a walk and pick a bouquet of flowers for someone.

I love going on walks and I love flowers, so this will be a fun outing but I'm not too sure about picking other people's flowers. Curious to see what I'll find blooming this time of year.

After lunch, pruning shears in hand, I took a walk around the neighborhood with Sara, my accomplice. In the parkway between Orange Grove and Westmoreland was one of those gorgeous trees with large dark pink flowers. There just happened to be a few branches low enough to reach, so I cut off two. We continued around Prospect. Hanging over the sidewalk was a climbing rose bush with a clump of beautiful dark pink little roses - snip. My rules were no going into someone's yard. Flowers hanging over sidewalks or fences were fair game. On Prospect Crescent I cut a couple gorgeous climbing white roses outside a rear gate near a back garage. Back on Prospect a giant Bougainvillea from an upper yard was hanging over the sidewalk over our heads. I was just barely able to jump up, grab a branch and pull it down to cut off a bit. We found and snipped a couple other flowers along the way. The best part of all was just getting out of the office into the fresh air and chatting with Sara as we strolled. I take that walk often, yet the task of finding flowers encouraged me to take notice of all the beautiful foliage I normally overlook. The impressive houses on that route usually command most of the attention. Looking for flowers, I focused on nature's simple beauty instead.

When we got back to the office, I put the bouquet of flowers in a vase and gave it to Judy, our awesome office coordinator. She got a big smile and even posed for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment