The challenge is on...50 days of intentional acts of generosity, health, courage, and kindness leading up to my 50th birthday.

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Day 33: Fill out post-its with things you love ...

Challenge Day 33: Fill out post-its with things you love about Terri and Maya and put them around the house before they wake up.


What a perfect challenge to get for an early riser like me and on a weekend when Terri doesn't get up early and on a morning with an extra hour. I found a sharpie and gathered up all the post-it pads we have around the house. Damn, just little colorful note pads with no sticky on the back. Found the tape. I started writing out whatever came to my mind. At first I wrote their names across the top, then realized so many of the words described both Maya and Terri. So I just wrote out the words.

Here is a sample of some of the things I love about both:
witty
generous
smart
funny
dedicated
warm
cuddly
powerful
loving
sensitive
committed
goofy
good friend
kind

Some were obviously for Terri:
artistic
funky
patient
spontaneous
compassionate

Some were obviously for Maya:
athletic
fiery
comical
dramatic
dimple

It surprised me that the first 25 or so words that came to my mind were true for both Terri and Maya, the most important women in my life. Hmm. There is something to that. They seem so different from one another, yet share so many positive, meaningful traits.

After awhile their individual traits sprang to mind, then flowed quite easily. I took a note pad and pen with me around the house as I got ready for work and filled them out as things occurred to me.

I scattered notes up our stairs, hung them from the chandelier, tacked them in doorways and through the hall, inside and outside the medicine cabinet. Even stuck one to the TV remote and near the car keys.

I asked them to identify which characterestics belonged to whom and which they shared.

"You mean we have some in common?" Terri asked.

"Yes, quite a lot", I replied.

"Well I know "pointy-finger dance" belongs to Mama", Maya said jokingly.

"And fierce belongs to you", I said.

We all smiled at their fabulousness.

1 comment: